There is ONE reason why Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer have not been able to totally destroy the Second Amendment. That reason is the Senate filibuster.
Let’s look at the situation:
- The House has already passed Universal Background Checks / National Gun Registry legislation. The one thing blocking it is the Senate filibuster.
- The House passed Red Flag Gun Confiscation for in the NDAA. The situation is complicated, but it is fair to say that, without the leverage given to us by the filibuster, gun confiscation could now be law.
- In 2004, the Senate (Republican) majority added a total semi-auto ban to the gun tort liability bill. Other guns groups supported this deal. We threatened to filibuster it. Ultimately, other groups were forced to come around. But, without the filibuster, your semi-auto would now be against the law.
- In 1982, there was a bipartisan deal to treat gun offenses like organized crime (under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO). That was killed by a FILIBUSTER OF THE MOTION TO PROCEED ON April 27, 1982, by a 47-48 vote.
- The Firearm Owners’ Protection Act was first offered (and stripped of a committee-added Brady Law amendment) in 1984, as part of a filibuster of another measure.
- A complete ban on ammunition (under “armor-piercing” pretexts) was severely watered down because of a filibuster threat in the late 1980s.
- A ban on semi-auto ownership by young people was filibustered by Bob Smith in 2000 — and ultimately killed. So was a virtual ban on gun shows.
- Gun control which was originally in ObamaCare was largely eliminated because of the filibuster.
- And so was virtually every item on the gun control agenda in 2013 – an agenda which included the Toomey-Manchin expanded background (registration) checks.
It is no exaggeration to say that America does not have California and New York gun laws almost wholly because of the filibuster.
THIS IS WHY CHUCK SCHUMER WANTS TO ELIMINATE THE FILIBUSTER SO BAD.
“We’re just creating an exception to the filibuster for ‘voting rights,’” they say.
But if the right to fraudulent pro-Democrat voting procedures is a “fundamental right” today, tomorrow Schumer will argue that “gun control is the right to live free of gun violence.”
And since the Senate is expected to vote on “filibuster reform” soon, follow up your email by calling your Senators at 202-224-3121.