Poland must be prepared for yet another wave of refugees from Ukraine in the winter, a deputy interior minister has said.
Pawel Szafernaker, who is also the government’s commissioner for refugees, said at a convention of local government officials on Wednesday that “both the central and local governments must be aware that there may be yet another wave of refugees.”
Szafernaker did not provide any estimates, but quoted the Ukrainian government’s prediction that some 500,000 Ukrainians may migrate from the eastern part to the western part of the country during this coming winter.
“We must be prepared that some number of those refugees will want to come to Poland,” the deputy minister said.
Szafernaker said the Polish government had supported Ukraine with PLN 10 billion (EUR 2.1 billion) from a special aid fund and that 1.2 million refugees had received aid from Polish families over the past six months.
Among those refugees who received the Polish identification number PESEL, about 600,000 are at an economically productive age and 400,000 have found legal jobs in the country
Wise (formerly TransferWise) is the cheaper, easier way to send money abroad. It helps people move money quickly and easily between bank accounts in different countries. Convert 60+ currencies with ridiculously low fees - on average 7x cheaper than a bank. No hidden fees, no markup on the exchange rate, ever.
How to access the offer?
1- Click here
2- Select “Register''
3- Enter your email address, create a password, and select your country of residence
4- Fill out the required personal information, and the free first transfer offer will be applied automatically.
Benefits of the Multi-Currency Account:
- Free to create online
- Hold 50+ currencies
- Get multiple local bank details in one account (including EU, UK, US)
- Convert currency at the real exchange rate, even on weekends
- Spend whilst travelling on the Wise debit card without high conversion fees
Wise International Transfers:
- $1.5 billion saved by customers every year
- Send money to over 60 target currencies
- Lower fees for larger transfers
- No hidden fees. No bad exchange rates. No surprises.
- Send your money with a bank transfer, or a debit or credit card